A strata is definitely one of my favorite things to make when we are having friends over for brunch. Cut up some bread, toss with an egg, sugar & vanilla mixture, spread in a 9×13 pan, throw in fruit and cream cheese and then let sit overnight. In the morning simply stick it in the oven for 30-40 minutes and enjoy!
I have made a Raspberry Strata for brunch a few times in the past, but since blueberries are now in abundance I wanted to change my usual choice of fruit. The recipe I found called for either frozen or fresh blueberries, but fresh is the only way to go baby. The original also called for a cup of blueberries, but with them now in season, go big and use 2 pints for this – you won’t be sorry!
Recipe: Blueberry Breakfast Strata
- 1 large loaf of French bread
- 6 eggs
- 1 1/2 cups of milk
- 1/2 cup of flour
- 2 tsp. vanilla
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- 2 pints of fresh blueberries
- 6 oz of low-fat cream cheese
- Cut the bread into 1″ chunks.
- In a large bowl, whisk eggs.
- Add milk, flour, vanilla, sugar and salt and whisk to combine
- Add the bread to the bowl and stir to combine.
- Lightly grease a 9×13 pan with cooking spray
- Pour half the bread mixture in the pan, and then add half the blueberries and half the cream cheese, distributing the berries and cheese throughout the pan. Note that you can cut the cream cheese into strips and simply break these apart with your fingers when adding it to the pan.
- Pour the remaining bread into the pan and spread it evenly with a spatula as you do so.
- Add the remaining cream cheese and blueberries.
- Cover and refrigerate overnight
- In the morning, preheat oven to 375
- Bake for 30-40 minutes until top is browned and the bread mixture has firmed up.
- Serve warm with maple syrup and / or whipped cream.
Adapted from The Allison Show